Saturday, April 4, 2020

The Evolution of Desire by David M Buss

So this is one book which came as a suggestion when I was reading "Sex at Dawn".

This is one of those things (why I don't call it a book???) which are supposedly came out of a lot of research which I disagree.

But here it is and what I feel after finishing this book is that this is written backwards. You might have heard of reverse engineering. This one is written with in the same way.

The conclusions are reached first, and than the arguments were cherry picked to prove them right.

The most common things (there is not much beyond that) are these:

V-shaped torso (this is a super personal choice)
Mating markets (like a fish market)
My lab (sounds like go to some shady place, mix three chemicals in a test tube and I made my results. I didn't really get them)
200 college going students said (I'm not a statistician but really your whole argument is based on what the supercharged young people think about sex)

My points are V-shaped torso has more to do with our evolution to walk on 2 legs. There is no mating market, this is how you demean the whole desire of a person which is really beyond getting laid, and make babies. You can't really compare it with our dietary habits for sure.

The last thing that I would like to say is that this book was not worth the read but if you want to understand what the whole narrative mean than you can read just the last chapter, and save efforts of reading rest of it.

And yes, this is super repetitive.

No comments: