Friday, September 25, 2020

Age of Anger : A History of the Present by Pankaj Mishra

 A lot of my choices these days are influenced by what is available in the library.

So here is the one which was I saw last week and I picked it up on a whim. Well, this was not the best pick but I don't feel bad about taking it.

The reason why it was not the best because there were a lot of references in the book which are directed from philosophers to revolutionaries to thinkers to political/social commentators. I heard the names of most of them but unfortunately didn't know their larger writings so in the back of my head I was telling myself not to get biased because this might be a one off quote :)

But I did like the overall perspective of the book, and it did give me a lot of references which I would be glad to pick in my future readings.

One thing about the rise of individualism is that it was always there. Those hungry, dissatisfied, hothead revolutionaries and politicians were always a part of the history. The modern technology has just equipped the current generation to move their thoughts and actions faster than their predecessors but that is visible in every field so why this one is expected to remain the same.

Worth a read if not for a new perspective but for a different one.

Peace

No comments: