Thursday, February 17, 2022

New Selected Stories by Alice Munro

Alice Munro is a Nobel Prize winner for literature. I was not aware of it until I picked this book. And I was not really sure if the Nobel prize was given for the story writers. I don't know why but I thought it was given to the novelists and poets. While looking for more information I saw that it was given to Bob Dylan for poetry and songwriting. This was a breather to know that it is not limited to the larger formats like novels only.

Well I read this, and was amazed how beautiful these stories are. I read these stories and felt that every single one of them has the potential to be a novel but that doesn't diminish the affect of the story. It only enhances the art of narration in brevity.

The best part that all the characters in these stories sound so real. It is possible that you might not have heard of any such real person around you but reading about them creates that sense of familiarity which can be attributed to the brilliance of the author.

One thing which I encountered was a claim that a she is a feminist writer, and I saw one of her interviews where she says "I never think about being a feminist writer, but of course I wouldn’t know." I understand that this is as good as a writer can say about her/his style of choosing the story they want to tell. If they choose to pick a protagonist of a different gender than it would have been equally strong in the stories.

I definitely loved this one, and would be looking out for more or her works.

Love

No comments: