Saturday, February 5, 2022

Medusa’s Ankles: Selected Stories by A.S. Byatt

 I couldn't finish this. I just couldn't go beyond 350 out of 430 pages. And this is the one in a real long time that I couldn't see till the end.

This is the second book from A S Byatt that I picked (first was Ragnarok) and the idea was that the short stories would be good from such an imaginary writer. I don't know how I reached that conclusion but that was the first thought.

However, it was too much of the abstract narrations. I really enjoy a writer painting a picture with the words but than I was not looking for a palette. There were too much of colors which kind of led to the edge.  Ornamentation is an integral part of any narration but what if there are just ornaments and nothing else.

I can't really say if I liked any of the stories and the introduction was full of praises, even claiming that there are multiple styles of writing which some of the great writers had shown in their genius works. It sounded like an oversell and yes it was. An average reader like me don't read for the style of the writers but because their work speak to you. A reader can't connect with everything but a good book is a sign that writer was saying something which resonates with you. Also, a writer is free to write whatever s/he wants to write but so are the choices of a reader.

I never cared about the style. I actually don't understand when they say lyrical prose, magical realism, complex structures and what not. The complexities doesn't make things beautiful but it is the simplicity which brings the true beauty in any work irrespective of the style or medium.

I'm not sure if I'll be picking up anything again from her work but this was a really difficult one.

Love

No comments: