Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens

It took me a while to finish this book. It actually took me 2 months to read all those 720 pages, and given that it took him 3 years to write, it was worth it.

If you're aware of Dickens' style of writing than you can't be untouched with the do good, and happy ending spirits in his novels. This is the 3rd novel of Dickens which I read after A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations. I love the way he writes which keep the readers engaged, and no matter what people end up seeing the goodness in the end.

The whole story revolves round the two girls Bella, and Lizzie who look at life differently but ended up with the best a life can offer.

I'll not go in the details of the plot as that is not my aim here. But I'd like to mention that the characters were quite evolved, and portrayed in the best way possible. However, I doubt that we'll get some of those moral characters in our day to day life. They sound so perfect, and generous that they seem to be impossible to exist.

This I'm not registering as a complaint but a lot of times the situation were a lot dramatic and I understand that a writer has to keep that curiosity alive and their reader engaged.

In a nutshell, gem of a read, but need a lot of patience to reach the end. There will be many moments when a reader feel that s/he can guess the end, and I assure you that your guess will be correct. But beauty lies in completing the book otherwise we could have read a one page synopsis of the book.

Peace

No comments: