Monday, September 14, 2015

Flood of Fire by Amitav Ghosh

Finally, I read the last of the Ibis trilogy, and ended up wanting for more.

This is the last book of the trilogy, and it is as good a story as the prior two parts. There are some new characters, and the story extends further to what happened to the runway prisoners of Ibis.

The story telling is in it's best form and I couldn't put it down (not literally as I was reading the ebook). It took some 15 hours of reading spread over 3 weeks, and I feel like I'm reading slower now even when I was engaged so much with the narration.

One thing that happened very frequently with me was that I was able to connect the dots across the narration. I was aware of the outcomes of a lot of things, and twists before even reaching them. This may be due to the fact that I've already read the first two parts, and I was aware of Amitav's style of writing. The events which I guessed easily were the the tryst of Zachary, fate of Mrs Burnham & captain, fate of Shireen & Zadig, and Ah Fatt.

There is long list of references which are too big to look at but as mentioned in the epilogue I was not very sure if it was based on real story. We know the details of opium war and world war, which writer has included beautifully. I was not really looking for some real facts, and the story itself is a reward of reading it, forget about how much is fact based and how much is fictional.

A good read, but you will have to finish the first two parts first to keep running through the narrations and not referencing to the previous books to understand anything which happened in previous journey.

Peace 

No comments: