Wednesday, December 15, 2021

God Help the Child by Toni Morrison

 I did read the Beloved so this was an easy choice because as a writer there is no comparison for her.

However, what I didn't get was the idea of your childhood defining who you're going to be. I understand that a difficult childhood (specially in dangerous living conditions) can affect your thought process but the whole idea of missing love sounds too romanticised to be true.

This is exactly the case here and it was a difficult for me to connect here. It might not be fair to compare it with a film script but by the end of it this is what it looked like. Not like that film scripts are any less scholarly than any other format but this one failed to make the mark.

I would have skipped this one and picked something else but then I read it all and realised skipping was the better option.

If you're a fan of her writing, skip this one, and maybe pick something else from her writing.

Love

No comments: