Monday, July 27, 2020

The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang

I picked up this book after reading about the tragic life of the author.

I never heard about this particular war atrocity but than we never know everything, and I'm glad that Iris put a sincere effort to bring out the story.

Of course, this is not a story that anyone would like to remember but forgetting it will be a bigger crime. This book is a record of what the people of Nanjing went through during the Sino-Japanese war. The crimes are unspeakable and there were some convictions too. There were a lot of stronger ones who got away with their wrong doing.

When I finished it my first reaction was that all the wars are dirty, and their real reasons dirtier. But this can't be the reason for not knowing the history of these wars. In fact, these are more of a reason to know this so that we remember it in future even if we all have a failing memory.

Peace


No comments: