Friday, May 20, 2016

The Hindus: An Alternative History by Wendy Doniger

This is the book which took me about four months to finish and the credit goes to my latest muse a 30 inch long bamboo flute. I never gave up reading for anything but this was just out of this world.

Anyway, I finally finished this book and I have mixed feelings about it.

I'll start with reason why I started reading it in the first place, and the one word for it is "controversy". When I heard of it being taken back by publisher I was curious to know what objectionable content does this book has.

Now, the question is what I think about it. Most important point is that it doesn't have anything objectionable. It is a plain factual (there are some facts and some mythology) book which dwells upon a lot of points but doesn't establish a single one of them. I believe this is by choice of author and not because she lost the plot in between. Second thing is that the questions raised in the book have been raised many times earlier from different people, and we all can discuss over it all our lifetime without reaching a conclusion as why a particular thing was said or done.

The most important factor is that we move on. We move on with a new knowledge from our past. Something which makes us proud and humble together. We acknowledge what others have said and done with a freedom of agree to disagree.

We may not agree to everything but that doesn't mean that everything which is against our conventional wisdom is untrue,

I believe there was always a trend to raise the non reason-ability in various religions, conventions and institutions. All we need is just a rationality to understand the thoughts without any bias.

Finally, this book is a good read but don't read it just for the controversy it created (like I started reading it) but to see a different face of religion and culture in India, Specially, there are a lot of anecdotes which you may find funny or bizarre. This girl (she is 75 year young) spent five decades of her life to learn Indian culture, and she is worth listening.

No comments: