Friday, January 11, 2013

King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard

It has been a long time since I posted last. I was reading few things here and there and I stumbled over this book. I don't remember when was the first time that I heard this title but stayed in my mind and the moment I saw this book I wanted to read it badly and finished it in one sitting (its not a big one for sure).

So first thing first, the book is not anywhere nearby what I thought it to be.

Its a twisted tale of a tomb raider who is in search of Solomon's mine. The book has some great moments but somehow you will always guess where all the narrative is leading to.

One thing that I'll like to specially mention here is that Haggard has some misconceptions about the people. He claims to have seen all the world and indirectly boasts about it but he is not really good at it. He even sometimes sound biased towards the white. He praise the beauty of a black woman (Foulata) and tries to create a romance between her and a white guy Captain Good but it conclude on her death.

I was definitely looking for more but it was not having that much to offer but definitely it was the starting of new genre called adventure and Haggard can take the credit to be early starter in it.

Looking forward to have some more from Allan Quatermain. But this one is not really a good read.

No comments: